Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) affects women of all ages and can lead to many complications like weight gain, hormonal imbalance, unwanted hair growth, acne, obesity, irregular periods, etc. The imbalance of oestrogen and progesterone causes breast tenderness, acne, mood swings and heavy bleeding. For effective management of PCOS regular exercise and mindful eating practice is important and adding the right dietary supplement can help improve this condition.
What are the hormones that are affected by PCOS?
- Insulin: In PCOS insulin is affected and can result in glucose imbalance and insulin resistance so supplements that help the body and assist in insulin response are recommended.
- Androgens: High levels of androgens leads to male pattern hair loss, acne, unwanted hair growth, etc.
- Sex hormones: PCOS hinders the functioning of androgens that are linked to period cycle and female fertility.
Supplements help to balance hormones, regulate blood sugar levels, manage symptoms related to PCOS like acne, weight loss, irregular periods, help to ease stress, etc. Therefore supplements play a major role in managing PCOS.
5 important supplements for PCOS are :
1. Inositol: This is also known as vitamin B8 and works great to improve ovarian health and helps in regulating blood glucose levels. It helps to reduce inflammation, promotes egg quality, ovarian function, averts hirsutism, normalises periods, lowers blood glucose levels and enhances fertility.
2. Omega 3 fatty acids: It helps in regulating hormone balance, glucose metabolism, lowers testosterone levels and is beneficial to lower inflammation. It also aids in weight loss by lowering the levels of leptin and helps to lessen symptoms related to PCOS.
Supplement Recommendation: Steadfast Nutrition Fish Oil
1. Chromium: It helps to maintain hormone balance, supports insulin-related problems and helps to lower blood sugar levels.
2. Zinc: It helps to alleviate your mood, fight off depression, regulates blood glucose levels, improves insulin sensitivity and eases symptoms related to PCOS like acne, weight issues, ovulation, etc.
3. N-Acetylcysteine (NAC): It helps to promote fertility, regulates metabolic disorders associated with PCOS like insulin resistance, high cholesterol, fatty liver, etc. NAC supplements improve fertility and ovulation along with building our immune system.