Obesity is not solely caused by only lack of willpower and other factors contribute to this global problem. So modern food eating habits must be revised and changed to solve this problem.
- Processed foods have refined ingredients and are mixed with additives. They are cheap and made so tasty which promotes overeating. They are engineered and designed in a way to get people hooked to them and are very hard to resist.
- Sugar and high-fat junk food stimulates the brain in a certain way and has the same effects on our brain as alcohol, nicotine, cocaine etc. Junk food addiction is very common in today’s society where people lose control and struggle with their eating behaviour similar to a person struggling with nicotine or alcohol addiction. Food addiction and cravings are difficult to overcome for high fat and sugary foods.
- Insulin resistance and high insulin levels are linked with being overweight and obesity. So it's important to manage and lower the insulin levels by eating a diet high in fibre and by reducing the intake of refined carbs.
- Leptin is the appetite-reducing hormone and is produced by the fat cells. High leptin levels are directly linked to a reduced appetite but in obese people, the leptin does not work properly as it is not able to cross the blood-brain barrier, this leptin resistance is a leading factor to more weight gain and obesity.
Strategies to adopt while trying to lose weight :
- Being aware of what you are eating is very important so try to keep a food diary when you are trying to lose weight.
- Protein is the most important macronutrient when it comes to losing weight. It helps to boost metabolism, reduces cravings and helps to control appetite. High protein intake also helps to prevent weight regain therefore keep up with a high protein intake.
- If you are facing difficulty in losing weight then you should keep a check on your total calorie intake as you may be eating more calories. Track your calories and keep a nutrition goal where 30% of your calories should come from protein.
- It is very important to lift weights when you are trying to lose weight as it helps to maintain your muscle mass and helps your body to burn more body fat. Strength training helps to boost our metabolism and contributes to a long term fat loss.
- Aerobic exercise like cycling, jogging, swimming increases our heart rate and helps to improve our overall health. It is the best way to burn the disease-causing visceral fat (belly fat) that builds up around our organs. Perform cardio exercises as it is the best way to overcome a weight loss plateau.