Introduction: 5-HTP is derived from the seeds of an African plant, Griffonia simplicifolia. The supplement has gained popularity for its ability to boost the body's serotonin levels and making them available to the brain. Serotonin plays a crucial role in sleep regulation, managing appetite, stress, aggression, depression and sensation of pain.
Why Steadfast’s 5-HTP?
1. Relieves stress and anxiety
2. Helps in improving sleep quality
3. Induces calmness
4. Lowers the risk of depression
5. Promotes cognitive health
6. Powerful antioxidant
7. Lowers the risk of metabolic disorders
8. Helps in managing weight
Directions for taking Steadfast 5-HTP:
Take one to two tablets of Steadfast 5-HTP preferably with meals or as recommended by your healthcare professional with normal water or juice.
Ingredients and their role:
1. Starch: Starch is a naturally occurring polysaccharide that is odourless and tasteless. It is a commonly used disintegrant for immediate release tablets. The anti-adherent properties of starch prevent the sticking of compressed powders/granules of the tablets to each other by putting an intermediate layer between the tablet components.
2. Diluent [INS 341]: [INS 341] or Calcium hydrogen phosphate is used in the product as an anti caking agent, stabiliser and acidity regulator.
3. Bulking agent (INS 460): Microcrystalline cellulose (MCC) or E460 is a fine white coloured powder used as a texturizer, anti-caking agent, fat substitute, emulsifier, extender, and bulking agent in food production, vitamin supplements or tablets.
4. Disintegrant [Sodium Starch Glycolate, INS 466]: Starch glycolates are derived from rice, potato, wheat or corn. INS 466 is used to produce tablets and capsules and works by absorbing water rapidly, resulting in swelling, which leads to the disintegration of tablets and granules. In the absence of a disintegrant, tablets may not dissolve properly, decreasing the absorption rate of the active ingredient.
5. Dispersing Agent [INS 1201]: INS 1201 is a synthetic water-soluble polymer used as a thickening agent, filling agent or stabiliser in the production of tablets or capsules. It acts as a binder in pharmaceutical tablets and passes through the body when taken orally.
6. Anti-Caking Agent [INS 553(iii), INS 551]: INS 553(iii), a subclass of magnesium silicates and INS 551, also known as silicon dioxide, together work as anti-caking agents that help prevent food particles from sticking together. They also give a shiny appearance and a protective coating to the food and pharmaceutical products.
7. Anti-sticking agent (INS 470(iii)): Magnesium stearate or 470(iii) is a subclass of salts of fatty acids which acts as an emulsifier and preserves a mixture of substances normally incapable of being mixed like oil and water. It also improves the viscosity of food and prevents its components from sticking together.
8. Colour [INS 172(ii), INS 171]: INS 171 is a food additive also known as titanium dioxide and is widely used in foods to whiten or brighten its colour and appearance. Iron oxides (INS 172) are obtained from various sources like INS 172 (i) - iron oxide black; INS 172 (ii) - iron oxide red; INS 172 (iii) - iron oxide yellow. These are responsible for adding and restoring the food colour.
9. 5-HTP [5 Hydroxytryptophan]: 5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) is produced in the body from an amino acid tryptophan, which is a precursor to the neurotransmitter serotonin and the hormone melatonin. Serotonin plays an important role in treating conditions like depression, anxiety, insomnia and fatigue. The body uses tryptophan to make 5-HTP; tryptophan is obtained from turkey, chicken, milk products, potatoes, pumpkin, sunflower seeds, turnip and collard greens. As one can’t get 5-HTP directly from the diet, it becomes important to include these tryptophan-rich foods for the production of 5-HTP in the body or in supplement form.
10. Glycine: It is an amino acid that works as a building block for some proteins, like the collagen found in skin, ligaments, muscles, bones, and cartilage. Glycine also helps in the regulation of nerve impulses in the central nervous system. Glycine is made in the body and hence not considered to be an essential amino acid. Glycine stimulates the production of serotonin, known as the "feel good" hormone and helps elevate mood, enhances sleep quality, and improves memory.
11. Taurine: It is an amino acid present naturally in the body and is essential for the healthy working of the heart, brain, bones, vision, hearing, etc.It increases the physical stamina, calms anxiety and improves athletic performance. It also promotes sound mental health and helps with anxiety, panic attacks, and insomnia. Taurine supplements are widely used by endurance athletes and bodybuilders to relieve cramps, muscle soreness, and fatigue.
12. Nicotinamide: Nicotinamide is a form of vitamin B3 found in food sources like eggs, milk, beans, most green vegetables, and meat. Nicotinamide helps to decrease anxiety and stress in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. It also helps in preventing insulin resistance, inflammation, osteoarthritis and hyperphosphatemia
13. Pyridoxine Hydrochloride: Pyridoxine or vitamin B6, helps the body by utilising energy from the foods we eat. It also supports the formation of red blood cells and ensures the proper functioning of the nerves. It helps to treat and prevent vitamin B6 deficiency resulting from poor dietary habits, use of medications, and certain medical conditions. Pyridoxine helps in improving mood swings and symptoms of depression and promotes brain health.
Conclusion: Steadfast 5-HTP consists of vitamin B3 , vitamin B6, 5-Hydroxytryptophan, glycine and taurine that support mental calmness, help in melatonin production and provide relaxation to our brain nerves. Steadfast 5-HTP may prove beneficial for athletes battling mental depression who want to avoid consuming medications like antidepressants. The best part about the supplement is that it is non-habit forming, hence one can consume it conveniently.
Leave a comment