Melatonin is a hormone naturally produced by our body. Endogenous melatonin is produced within the body, however the hormone can also be produced externally. Exogenous melatonin is generally synthesised in a laboratory and offered as a dietary supplement in various forms- both solid and liquid. The tablet is considered to be the most preferred form due to its good absorbability. The pineal gland situated inside the brain produces melatonin, which is then released into the bloodstream. The pineal gland produces melatonin in response to darkness, whereas it stops melatonin production in response to light.
Why Steadfast Melatonin ?
Steadfast Melatonin is used for correcting insomnia and improving sleep in various conditions. It is also used in conditions like adjusting sleep-wake cycles in people with varying work schedules and those with jet lag. It helps regulate the circadian rhythm and synchronises our sleep-wake cycle. Melatonin facilitates the transition to sleep and promotes consistent, high-quality sleep as a result. The best thing about this supplement is that it is non-habit-forming, which makes it safe in the suggested proportion.
Ingredients and their benefits:
1. Starch: Starch is a naturally occurring polysaccharide that is odourless and tasteless. It is a commonly used disintegrant for immediate release tablets. The anti-adherent properties of starch prevent the sticking of compressed powders/granules of the tablets to each other by putting an intermediate layer between the tablet components.
2. Lactose: Taking milk and dairy products promotes good sleep quality and has a positive effect on physical and mental health. Milk contains a good amount of tryptophan- an amino acid that helps in melatonin synthesis. Melatonin induces sleep and synchronises the circadian rhythm. The α-lactalbumin protein present in milk has the highest tryptophan content amongst the other dietary sources of proteins that are normally consumed by humans. Thus the addition of lactose in melatonin supplements helps enhance sleep quality.
3. Bulking agent [INS 460(i)]: INS 460(I), also known as microcrystalline cellulose or cellulose gel, is commonly used as an anti-caking agent, binder, thickener, or stabiliser. It is widely used as a binder for manufacturing tablets and improving their flow properties.
4. Disintegrant [Sodium Starch Glycolate, INS 466]: The sources of starch glycolate include rice, potato, wheat, or corn. INS 466 is used to produce tablets and capsules and works by absorbing water rapidly, resulting in swelling, which leads to the disintegration of tablets and granules. In the absence of a disintegrant, tablets may not dissolve properly, decreasing the absorption rate of the active ingredient.
5. Dispersing Agent [INS 1201]: INS 1201 is a synthetic water-soluble polymer used as a thickening agent, filling agent or stabiliser in the production of tablets or capsules. It acts as a binder in pharmaceutical tablets and passes through the body when taken orally.
6. Anti-Caking Agent [INS 553(iii), INS 551]: INS 553(iii), a subclass of magnesium silicates and INS 551, also known as silicon dioxide, together work as anti-caking agents that help prevent food particles from sticking together. They also give a shiny appearance and a protective coating to the food and pharmaceutical products.
7. Anti-sticking agent (INS 470(iii)): Magnesium stearate or 470(iii) is a subclass of salts of fatty acids which acts as an emulsifier and preserves a mixture of substances normally incapable of being mixed like oil and water. It also improves the viscosity of food and prevents its components from sticking together.
8. Colour [INS 172(ii), INS 171]: INS 171 is a food additive also known as titanium dioxide and is widely used in foods to whiten or brighten its colour and appearance. Iron oxides (INS 172) are obtained from various sources like INS 172 (i) - iron oxide black; INS 172 (ii) - iron oxide red; INS 172 (iii) - iron oxide yellow. These are responsible for adding and restoring the food colour.
9. Melatonin: Melatonin not only calms the mind and promotes sound sleep, but it also helps the body in many other ways.
- Supports eye health: Healthy melatonin levels may support eye health. It has powerful antioxidant properties that lower the risk of eye diseases, such as age-related macular degeneration.
- Treats stomach ulcers and heartburn: Antioxidant property of melatonin helps in treating stomach ulcers and reduces heartburn.
- Increases growth hormone levels in men: Human growth hormone (HGH)is released while sleeping. In healthy young men, supplementing with melatonin helps in increasing HGH levels.
- Reduces symptoms of tinnitus: Tinnitus is a condition characterised by the constant ringing in the ears. When there’s less noise in the background, the condition worsens. Taking melatonin supplements reduces the symptoms of tinnitus and promotes better sleep.
Directions to use Steadfast Melatonin:
One can take 1-2 tablets of Melatonin before bedtime with water to relax the mind, reduce anxiety and induce natural sleep. Do not exceed the recommended dosage for 24 hours. Pregnant and nursing women should not take it. Do not take it with alcoholic beverages, while driving or operating machinery.
Human case study on benefits of melatonin supplements: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/