Cholesterol is something we all run away from but are stuck with it somehow, but we must know cholesterol is not always bad as it is called but it has both sides to it. Cholesterol is an essential component of every cell in your body, giving cell membranes strength and flexibility.
This blog will talk about natural cholesterol busters that are recommended for overall better heart health.
Principle Dietary Suggestions
• Include only complex carbohydrates and increase protein intake.
• Increase fibre intake to more than 25g/day.
• Reduce salt, flour, and sugar intake in your diet.
• Avoid foods high in saturated fats, trans fats and cholesterol.
Other Food Groups
• Whole cereals help lower LDL levels, help eliminate cholesterol levels and increase HDL levels. The main cereals include Oats, Whole Wheat, Barley, Jowar, buckwheat, quinoa.
• Oils that are high in unsaturated fats – Mustard oil, olive oil
• Other cold-pressed oils that offer omega 3 fatty acids are flaxseed oil, sesame oil.
• Include nuts and seeds
• Almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, chia seeds
Ways to include cholesterol-lowering foods in the diet
• Have a few (1-2) garlic cloves in the morning or have lemon water with 1 tsp honey.
• Have flaxseed powder with warm water or have basil seeds soaked overnight and have it in the morning.
• Mix fibre in your atta on daily basis, include more soluble fibre
• Include oats in the form of oatmeal along with nuts or oats with veggies.
• Have seasonal fruits two times a day.
• Include more vegetables, complex carbohydrates and a good amount of protein.
• Have soaked nuts in the morning.
• Include more beverages like watermelon juice, lime water, and amla sherbet.
• Switch to herbal teas like Arjun k chaal, Trikatu (a combination of ginger, pippali and black pepper).
• Add more turmeric, rosemary, and basil to your food.
To summarise, having a high cholesterol problem can lead to atherosclerosis, heart stroke and so it is important to include foods that help lower cholesterol and increase HDL, which has heart-protecting properties.