We all are well aware of how Coronavirus (COVID-19) has affected the entire globe. This disease directly affects our respiratory system and if left untreated damages other body organs as well. Scientists say that to prevent or fight this disease, one must have a strong immune system.
Strong immunity is a combined output of our diet and lifestyle. Better the immune health, greater is the ability of our body to fight against infections, viruses, bacterias and other pathogens. In this article, we will discuss some of the tips, which we all must practice to strengthen our immune system.
1. Consume plenty of fruits and vegetables in your diet. Fruits and veggies come with power-packed nutrients like antioxidants, which combat free radicals, oxidative stress and inflammation. These antioxidants enhance our body’s ability to fight illnesses. Vitamin C and E specifically are powerful antioxidants hence, the diet should be rich in foods like orange, berries, kiwi, guava, amla, broccoli, nuts, almonds, walnuts, olive oil, lemon and bell peppers.
2. Stay away from stress as much as possible. Stress causes an increase in the levels of cortisol hormone, which interferes with the activity of our immune T-cells. These cells are called killer cells as they act very rapidly in our body, in destroying any foreign pathogen. Elevated levels of cortisol or stress hormone also reduce the ability of an antibody IgA found in our gut and respiratory tract. IgA is referred to as the first line of defence for our immune system.
3. Avoid excess alcohol consumption and use of tobacco products as they reduce the efficacy of our immune system. Moreover, excess alcohol intake is further associated with an increased risk of metabolic disorders like obesity, liver cirrhosis and diabetes.
4. Adopt an active lifestyle. A regular exercise schedule is associated with a strong immune system. It boosts the activity of our T-cells, which are a type of white blood immune cells.
5. Make sure to get adequate sleep. 7-8 hours of sleep per day is essential for all adults to replenish our body. Lack of sleep makes us more prone to inflammation along with weaker immune health. Proper sleep cycle not only reduces stress levels but also calms our brain nerves and enhances their functioning.
6. Consume an omega 3 rich diet. Omega 3 fats play a very important role in preventing and alleviating inflammation. These are good fats found in foods like salmon, sardine, tuna, mackerel, anchovies, walnuts, spirulina, chia and flax seeds. These fats contain EPA, DHA and ALA, which has been shown to significantly reduce the levels of various inflammatory markers in the body, thereby contributing to boost our immunity. It is imperative to maintain an ideal ratio of omega 3 and omega 6 in our daily diet.
7. A regular intake of spices and herbs like garlic, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon and fennel is also a great way to pump up our immune health. These foods contain certain phytonutrients, flavonoids, antioxidants and bioactive compounds, which assist our immune system in fighting against illness and infections.
8. Consume pre and probiotics in the diet. Together, they work in our body in strengthening our gut and maintain a healthy microbial balance. Presence of good microorganisms in our gut provides us with a greater ability to fight illnesses, indigestion issues and reduces the risk of developing cancer.
9. Opting for supplements that aid in enhancing immunity. Health supplements are a great way to support our daily diet to prevent any insufficiency. Always opt for certified supplements from a trusted source. But in case of any medical condition, it is better to consult an expert before choosing any health supplement.
To sum up, having strong immune health is not difficult. Just try these simple methods and see how they can cause a major impact and boost your immunity naturally.
Collagen is the abundantly found protein in our body, which is responsible for skin elasticity. It is crucial for the...Read More
India is experiencing the rise of football with so many leagues and investment at the grassroot level to make it grow...Read More
The important amino acid – Glutamine helps in carrying out many functions in the body. Glutamine is the building bloc...Read More