- Dark Chocolate or Cocoa: It has a stronger antioxidant content than all the berries. Which helps to improve arterial function, reduces blood pressure, increases insulin sensitivity and skin elasticity. The flavanols protect the skin from sun damage, improves skin hydration, thickness and smoothness. The more the cocoa content present in dark chocolate helps with the flavanol content. Therefore always choose dark chocolate with a minimum of 70% cocoa.
- Vegetables: They are low in calories and very nutrient-dense. Being high in carotenoids (beta carotene) they protect against free radicals and solar radiation that lead to skin ageing. Try to include pumpkin, carrots, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers, broccoli and leafy greens in your daily diet.
- Flaxseeds: They are rich in omega 3 fatty acids (ALA) which helps to reduce sun-induced skin damage and improves the quality of the skin.
- Pomegranates: They have a very high antioxidant activity which helps to decrease inflammation, repair damaged skin and increases collagen production.
- Spices: The plant compounds in spices have various beneficial effects. Cinnamon helps to increase collagen production which improves the elasticity and firmness of the skin. The antioxidant in ginger has anti-inflammatory effects and prevents age spots.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: It helps to reduce the risk of heart diseases, prevents metabolic syndrome, lowers blood pressure and is also effective in fighting cancer. Because of its anti-inflammatory effects on the skin, it helps our skin to look young.
- Green Tea: It has a high antioxidant value which protects against damaging free radicals. It helps to fight inflammation, insulin resistance, diabetes and heart diseases. Collagen production decreases with age thus polyphenols in green tea help to protect the main skin protein called collagen which is responsible for smooth skin and elasticity.
- Fatty Fish: It consists of omega 3 fatty acids which protect us from inflammation, heart diseases and sun damage. Salmon is one of the best fatty fishes for consumption as it is rich in astaxanthin (a carotenoid antioxidant). It helps to improve skin hydration.
In conclusion, we cannot fight the clock and turn back time but what we can do is eat in the right manner and choose foods that can help us improve the function of our skin and overall health so that we remain young and healthy as we age.