This article talks about foods that contain beneficial compounds which can help to lower the risk of cancer:
- Turmeric: It has good curcumin content which has great anti-inflammatory properties. If a person consumes 1g of curcumin along with piperine (found in black pepper) it helps to decrease inflammation to a good extent. Piperine helps to boost curcumin absorption in the body.
- Dark chocolate and cocoa: The flavonol compounds (antioxidants) in them help to reduce inflammation.
- Carrots: Carrot consumption is linked to lower the risk of stomach, lung and prostate cancer.
- Extra virgin olive oil: It is one of the best and healthiest fats. The antioxidant found in olive oil has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Beans: They are high in fibre, and its consumption is linked to a decreased risk of tumour recurrence.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil consumption is linked to decreased rates of cancer.
- Berries: They contain plant pigments that have good antioxidant properties and help decrease the spread and growth of cancer.
- Citrus Fruits: Include oranges, lemons, limes in your diet as higher amounts of citrus fruits are linked to lower risk of developing cancer.
- Flaxseed: They are rich in heart-healthy fats and are high in fibre that helps reduce the spread and growth of cancer cells. Its consumption is linked to an increase in the cancer cell death rate and helps decrease the levels of specific markers that measure tumour growth.
- Tomatoes: They are rich in lycopene which has anti-cancer properties.
- Fatty fish: Fishes like mackerel & salmon contain omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D are linked to reduce and protect against the risk of cancer. The DHA and EPA help to reduce inflammation which is a risk factor for cancer.
- Garlic: Allicin is the active component present in garlic which helps to kill cancer cells. Include 1-2 cloves of fresh garlic in your diet as it has amazing health-promoting properties.
- Cinnamon: It helps to reduce inflammation and blood sugar levels. Along with this cinnamon extract has been found to help decrease the spread and growth of tumours.
- Avocados: They consist of magnesium, potassium, fibre and healthy fats along with tocopherols and carotenoids. All these compounds help to reduce inflammation.
- Green tea: The epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) in green tea helps to inhibit inflammation, and also helps to protect our cells from any damage.
- Mushrooms: They consist of selenium, copper and all the B Vitamins along with phenols and antioxidants that have anti-inflammatory effects. However, to reap most of its benefits eat them lightly cooked or raw as too much of cooking lowers their anti-inflammatory properties.
- Broccoli: Cruciferous vegetables have anti-inflammatory effects because of the antioxidant content in them. Broccoli consists of sulforaphane that is an antioxidant which helps to reduce inflammation.
Antioxidant-rich foods help to fight and reduce inflammation and should be included in your daily diet as even low levels of inflammation can lead to a lot of diseases. So, include these foods in your daily diet as they will help to reduce the risk of cancer.
Leave a comment