The liver is the largest organ in the body and performs numerous vital functions such as removal of waste products and foreign substances from the bloodstream, regulation of blood sugar levels, among others.
Functions of the liver:
1. Produces albumin and bile: Albumin is a protein that prevents fluids in the bloodstream from leaking into the surrounding tissues. It acts as a carrier for hormones, vitamins, and enzymes through out the body. Bile is a digestive juice that helps in the digestion and absorption of fats in the small intestine.
2. Helps in filtration of blood: The liver detoxifies all the blood leaving the stomach and intestines by removing toxins, by-products, and other harmful substances.
4. Helps in blood clotting: Blood clotting coagulants are created using vitamin K, that can only be absorbed with the help of bile- a digestive fluid produced by the liver.
5. Stores vitamins and minerals: The liver acts as a store house of vitamins including vitamin A, D, E, K, and B12, and minerals like iron and copper.
6. Processes glucose: The liver converts excess glucose from the bloodstream and stores it in the form of glycogen. This glycogen can be broken back to glucose whenever our body needs more energy.
Advantages of Steadfast Milk Thistle:
Liver functioning depends on your age, use of medicines, alcohol intake, obesity, and other lifestyle factors. Including Steadfast Milk Thistle in your daily routine is the safest and natural solution to keep this vital organ healthy. Milk Thistle contains an active ingredient called silymarin extracted from the plant's seeds. Silymarin is known for its amazing antioxidant properties and is primarily used to cure liver problems. It also possesses anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and may even help in improving the hormonal imbalance. Silymarin further helps to protect the liver from alcoholic and non-alcoholic liver damage, hepatitis, and liver cancer.
Ingredients of Steadfast Milk Thistle and their significance:
1. Starch: A starch is an odourless and tasteless polysaccharide that occurs naturally. It is mainly used as a disintegrant for immediate release tablets. It possesses anti-adherent properties which prevent the powder/granules of the tablets from sticking to each other by putting an intermediate layer between the tablet components.
2. Bulking agent [INS 460(i)]: INS 460(i), also known as microcrystalline cellulose or cellulose gel, is commonly used as an anti-caking agent, binder, thickener, or stabiliser. It is widely used as a binder for manufacturing tablets and improving their flow properties.
3. Disintegrant [Sodium starch glycolate, INS 466]: Starch glycolates are derived from rice, potato, wheat, or corn. INS 466 is used to produce tablets and capsules and works by absorbing water rapidly, resulting in swelling, which leads to the disintegration of tablets and granules. In the absence of a disintegrant, tablets may not dissolve properly, decreasing the absorption rate of the active ingredient.
4. Dispersing agent [INS 1201]: INS 1201 is a synthetic water-soluble polymer used as a thickening agent, filling agent, or stabiliser in the production of tablets or capsules. It acts as a binder in pharmaceutical tablets and passes through the body when taken orally.
5. Anti-caking agent [INS 553(iii), INS 551]: INS 553(iii), a subclass of magnesium silicates and INS 551, also known as silicon dioxide together work as anti-caking agents that help prevent food particles from sticking together. They also give a shiny appearance and a protective coating to the food and pharmaceutical products.
6. Anti-sticking agent [INS 470(iii)]: Magnesium stearate or 470(iii) is a subclass of salts of fatty acids which acts as an emulsifier and preserves a mixture of substances normally incapable of being mixed like oil and water. It also improves the viscosity of food and prevents its components from sticking together.
7. Colour [INS 172(ii), INS 171]: INS 171, also known as titanium dioxide, is a food additive and is widely used in foods to whiten or brighten their colour and appearance. Iron oxides (INS 172) are obtained from various sources like INS 172 (i) - iron oxide black; INS 172 (ii) - iron oxide red; INS 172 (iii) - iron oxide yellow. These are responsible for adding and restoring the food colour.
8. Milk thistle extract (80%): Silymarin present in milk thistle has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which helps reduce liver damage and liver inflammation and promotes organ detoxification. Milk Thistle helps balance the blood sugar levels and improves insulin sensitivity. It is also used to ease indigestion and may potentially soothe a sour stomach. Milk Thistle promotes brain health by protecting from the damaging effects of free radicals. It also keeps cholesterol levels in check and supports immune health.
Directions to consume:
Steadfast Milk Thistle can be taken by anyone on long term medications/supplements, those who regularly consume alcohol, chain smokers, or individuals under chronic stress.
Take two tablets everyday with water before meals. One tablet before lunch and the other before dinner, or consult your physician before taking the supplement. If you are pregnant, lactating, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your physician before using this product.
Human case study on benefits of milk thistle: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/